Access to the main, upper floor of the Palas was via the open-air staircase typical of castle buildings, which is located in front of the Castle Chapel.
The stairs end with a small covered platform with an entrance to the princes‘ gallery of the St Elisabeth Chapel on the left side.
Small living room
On the first floor of the Palas are the rooms used by the duke when he stayed in his second residence. None of the original late Gothic furniture and interior decoration has been preserved. The furniture, weapons, tapestries, paintings and sculptures on display here however recreate the atmosphere of the period.
Bavarian (Master of the Attel altar),
Attel altar: The decapitation of St Johannes,
c 1480/90 (© Bayerische Staatsgemälde-
sammlungen München and bpk)
The State Gallery of Burghausen is a branch of the Bavarian State Collection of Paintings.
56 paintings are presented on two floors: the second floor of the castle mainly features late medieval altar panels illustrating the flourishing culture of the monasteries in Upper Bavaria and the neighbouring regions of Austria during this period, while on the third floor are works from the early 17th century attributed to artists associated with the court.
62 steps lead from the third floor up to the viewing platform on the roof of the Palas, from which there is a magnificent panoramic view.